Filling in Facial Hotspots – Facial Filler Q & A
What are Injectable dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are injected beneath the skin to restore lost volume, smooth lines and soften creases, or enhance facial contours. More than 1 million men and women annually have chosen this popular facial rejuvenation treatment, which can be a cost-effective way to look younger without surgery or downtime.
How can dermal fillers enhance my appearance?
- Smooth out lines around nose and mouth (a.k.a. marionette lines, smile lines, and parentheses)
- Enhance & restore volume to sunken cheeks or temples
- Diminish vertical lip lines
- Plump & enhance lips
- Smooth out a chin crease
- Improve symmetry among facial features
What kind of fillers should I use?
Always use an FDA approved, brand name filler.
At CSSC, we use:
- Juvéderm, Voluma®, Volbella®, Vollure®
- Restylane®, Restylane® Silk, Restylane® Lyft, Restylane® Refyne, and Restylane® Defyne.
Both brands of filler contain hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that is already found in your skin.
- It helps keep skin plump and hydrated.
- HA fillers are typically soft and gel-like.
- The results are temporary, lasting 6 to 12 months or longer before the body gradually and naturally absorbs the particles.
What should I expect during treatment?
Dermal filler injections are non-surgical and completed in office. Your initial treatment will begin with a consultation, during which you will meet with your provider to discuss your concerns and goals.
During your consultation, your provider will evaluate your area of concern and review your medical history.
Your injectable filler treatment
Your provider will inject a precise amount of filler strategically beneath the skin.
Depending on the product and the areas treated, you should be able to notice results immediately after receiving filler injections. Some patients experience mild bruising and swelling, but these are temporary and should subside over the days following treatment. There is no down-time after treatment, however, your provider may ask you to take the day off from exercise or other strenuous activity.
How long do the results last?
How long the effects of dermal fillers will last depends on the area of treatment, and the patient. Generally speaking, the denser the product is and the more deeply it is injected, the longer it will last, although this is not a hard and fast rule. To maintain your results, your provider will simply repeat treatment, adjusting the amount and techniques as necessary to ensure optimal results. It is typical to last from 6 to 9 months. Injections to the lips will wear out a little faster than those to the nasolabial folds.