How Much Dermal Filler do I need?
Most dermal fillers are made from Hyaluronic Acid and contain 1cc per syringe. This means that there is only 1/5 of a teaspoon of filler in a 1cc syringe! It takes FIVE full syringes to make up a single teaspoon of filler. It’s important to keep these measurements in mind when you are looking to achieve realistic, effective results.
A slight enhancement
These treatments only require a small to moderate amount of dermal filler.
- Focus on one area to improve, with slight change to your appearance.
- Depending on the area being treated and your age, the amount of filler needed for slight enhancement can vary from approximately 0.5cc-3cc.
- Fill in a few fine lines, smoothing or a slight plump in the lips.
- Have a small amount of hollowness filled in.
- For instance, A 30 something patient wanting a slight enhancement in the cheeks may only need 1cc-2cc to see results.
- A patient in their 40’s or 50’s looking for similar results would need at least 3cc.
Let’s break this down per sections of the face.
The upper face is made up of the forehead and glabella areas, (glabella is the area between the bows that many people refer to as their scowl lines).
- Eradicate “Static Wrinkles” Deep wrinkles etched into the skin over time.
- Treat the area first with neurotoxin.
- Then fill with small amounts of dermal filler used to “pop out” the fine lines remaining.
- The total amount of filler usually needed to treat the upper face is 1-3cc.
The temples, under eye area (tear trough), cheeks and nose are included in the mid-face. Depending on your age and natural deficits, treating these can require a considerable amount of dermal filler. When we reach middle age, areas in our mid face begin to lose the volume they once had and become flattened.
- The tear trough typically requires 0.5-1cc per side; more if you have very large bags.
- The side in the temples range from 0.5cc-2cc.
- Cheeks usually range from 1-3cc per side (You could need up to 6cc just to lift your flattened cheeks).
- Altogether, if you are looking for a total Mid Face Liquid Lift with full correction, expect to use a minimum 4cc of filler.
This includes the marionette lines from the sides of the mouth to the chin, the nasolabial folds from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth, the corners of the mouth, the lip region (which includes lip lines, the lip border and any plumping of the lips), and lastly the jawline.
- The nasolabial folds get deeper over time.
- Cheeks drop and flatten from loss of volume.
- Replacing cheek volume helps lessen the depth of nasolabial folds.
- These lines may still need to be filled in after with 0.5cc- 2cc of filler per side for a nice correction.
- Marionette lines typically require 0.5cc – 1cc per side.
- To reverse the turn down of the corners of the mouth, you could easily use 0.25cc-0.5cc.
- Lip lines around the mouth, “smokers lines”, can be an issue even if you never smoked due to loss of volume in the lips, and can take as much as 1cc-2cc to correct on their own.
- The deeper the lines, the more you will need to correct.
- Overall, enhancing the border of the lips can take 0.5cc to 1cc, and the actual lips themselves can need 1cc-2cc.
- This means for a moderate- major enhancement, the entire lip area could begin with needing 3cc of filler to correct fully.
- The amount needed for the jawline could be anywhere from 1cc-3cc, depending on your desired outcome.
Not everyone will require that much filler, but this is where things like being a chronic smoker, your age and genetics will determine where you fall.
Dermal fillers were designed to lessen the signs of aging and enhance your appearance, not change it completely. We will work with you at CSSC to achieve your desired, natural, refreshed look!